« Day on the coast | Main

October 12, 2002

4472 miles later

I rolled into Andrew and Beth's driveway yesterday afternoon in Portland. It was a beautiful ride from the coast. First over the coastal range through a beautiful forest then into the suburbs of Portland. Flying down the hill on west Burnside all of sudden you're in downtown Portland.

I'm going to feel a little weird for a couple of days not hopping on the bike, but I like it here. I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this site. I really enjoyed updating it and checking back to see the comments. Thanks so much!

I'll have some more photos to put on in a little while. For now, I'm off to look for high-tech jobs in Portland... :)

Posted by Dave at October 12, 2002 10:18 AM

Comments

Mitchell-Redmond
72 miles

Redmond-Vida
88 miles

Vida-Monmouth
93 miles

Monmouth-Pacific City
70 miles

Pacific City-Tillamook
28 miles

Tillamook-Portland
83 miles

Posted by: Dave at October 12, 2002 10:21 AM

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! we're having a HUGE party at our place tonight, you kicked the trail's ass and UVa kicked clemson's ass. Also, its a friends b-day....

Those of you who know dave and are in the charlottesville area, come! i'll be toasting for dave once on the hour, every hour.

CHEERS TO DAVE!
-jody, ashley, brett, and alex

105 shamrock rd.; have a beer in honor of dave ross!

Posted by: ALEX at October 12, 2002 05:14 PM

David

What a grand experience and a towering achievement! I keep thinking that I should do that ride - but then too many buts . . . but I can't take the time, but I'm over fifty, but my butt would probably fall off! etc.

I've read a lot over the past year about people crossing our continent - Lewis and Clark, the Mormons, the Forty-Niner Gold Rushers. And now the epic journey of young David Ross! It must be incredible to experience the American Landscape at such a stately pace and in such an intimate fashion.

Your pictures are grand, and I'll miss tracking you on your web site. Best of all things for you in your new life in Portland.

Regards
DAVID COLLINS

Posted by: david collins at October 13, 2002 11:11 AM

Dave,
Congratulations! That is a wonderful achievement. I loved reading your online journal. Things at AMS, have changed quite a bit. If you feel like it, give me a call and I can explain. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you chose to do next. After biking across country, you must really feel like you can accomplish anything. By the way, I heard Microsoft is hiring:) I hope to talk to you soon,
Jen

Posted by: Jen Liapis at October 14, 2002 01:44 AM

Dave, congratulations from all of us here!
We have enjoyed following along on your web site. Keep us posted. Say Hi to Andrew, Beth and Ray.
I'm off to the Parkway tomorrow.

Posted by: Don Lendle at October 15, 2002 10:10 PM

YOU ROCK.

Posted by: ryan at October 15, 2002 11:22 PM

Dear David,

Wow! Has it really been the three-four months since you took off from here?

Anyhow, cheers to you indeed. I envy the man who's able to give up his "comfortable" environment in search of new things.

I would have gone to your pal's party in C-ville last weekend (I actually was in town!) but I didn't hear about in time. I'll toast to you tonight on my own though. :)

But seriously, as all things go, I wish you well whatever new things you are looking for out there on the West coast. Just don't forget us all and come back soon.

I want to close with my deeply philosophical pals, Calvin and Hobbes.

regards,

James

Posted by: James Tsai at October 16, 2002 06:04 PM

David, that's quite an achievement! Probably will give you unexpected gains, both physically and mentally. My congratulations on having the courage to conceive of and complete the journey.. that says a lot about you. Your future is without limit! Love, Carey

Posted by: Carey at October 17, 2002 12:08 PM

Congratulations Dave! I suspect this will be one of those experiences that you can describe to us but we will never really understand. Good luck with the job hunting and move! j

Posted by: John Metcalfe at October 19, 2002 10:38 AM