« September 2002 | Main

October 12, 2002

4472 miles later

I rolled into Andrew and Beth's driveway yesterday afternoon in Portland. It was a beautiful ride from the coast. First over the coastal range through a beautiful forest then into the suburbs of Portland. Flying down the hill on west Burnside all of sudden you're in downtown Portland.

I'm going to feel a little weird for a couple of days not hopping on the bike, but I like it here. I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this site. I really enjoyed updating it and checking back to see the comments. Thanks so much!

I'll have some more photos to put on in a little while. For now, I'm off to look for high-tech jobs in Portland... :)

Posted by Dave at 10:18 AM | Comments (9)

October 10, 2002

Day on the coast

I walked the beach at sunset last night after re-reading my journal and it's hard to believe this trip is almost over. I wistfully left Pacific City this morning and pedaled north up the coast scenic route. I stopped at Cape Lookout and went for a hike to the end of the cape. The trail has wonderful views both north and south on the coast. I've lucked out with another sunny day here. Then I rode onto Tillamook. I'm now a little closer for my last day's ride into Portland tomorrow.

Oh, and some photos...

yellowstone.jpg
Yellowstone

madisonvalley.jpg
Madison Valley, Montana

twinbridges.jpg
A nostalgic photo of Twin Bridges, Montana

bitterroot.jpg
Bitterroot River, Montana

whitebird.jpg
White Bird Hill, Idaho (yup it was raining)

easternoregon.jpg
Eastern Oregon

johnday.jpg
John Day Valley, Oregon

Posted by Dave at 07:27 PM | Comments (3)

October 09, 2002

Elevation 7'

So the sign in Pacific City claims. I am at the Pacific coast in a wonderful little town. The ride over McKenzie pass on Monday was one of the best days of the trip. Once I got off the main road barely 20 cars passed me in 40 miles. It's a climb up to the top where you can see for miles around. The North Sister and Middle Sister peaks of the Cascades are very close and impressive to the south. To the north you can see Mt. Washington, Mt. Jefferson and the very tip of Mt. Hood. All around is a solidified lava field. Belknap Crater right near the top erupted a few thousand years ago. There's a great observatory on top which is basically like a castle turret that you can go inside and on top of.

It's a great descent to the McKenzie River from there and on into Eugene. I then came down the Willamette river valley, wonderful flat terrain after many, many mountain passes in Oregon. Around Monmouth (near Salem) I turned west again and reached the coast. Just before getting to the coast I was on old scenic Hwy 101 which goes through a beautiful dense forest. Everything is very green here. The forest brings to mind all those words like loamy, fecund, lush. Although the coast gets a lot of rain, it's bright sun today.

I let my feet get swallowed up in the sand on the beach here and I'm going to head back down there around sunset. It's been quite a trip to the coast and I feel really happy to be here. Not sure of my plans but I may stay here tomorrow as well then I'll go to Portland, probably by bicycle.

Posted by Dave at 07:32 PM | Comments (3)

October 07, 2002

Over McKenzie Pass

Dave called Monday night; he rode 88 miles over McKenzie Pass into Vida Oregon. He describes it as a stellar day. He is now in the Willamette Valley.

Posted by Dad at 08:59 PM | Comments (0)

October 06, 2002

Photos

I just had some photos become available.

kansas.jpg
I took several photos in Kansas but most look about the same!

colorado.jpg
You have to cycle a ways more to get to the "colorful" part.

hoosier.jpg
Oh yeah!

togwatee.jpg
On the climb east of Togwatee pass.

togwateewest.jpg
The west side of Togwatee pass, I came down that road but there are two touring cyclists going up and east.

tetons.jpg
Jackson Lake and the Tetons, I first ran into the Snake river here then again when I crossed from Idaho to Oregon.

Posted by Dave at 05:57 PM | Comments (2)

Over 4000 miles in!

Yesterday my odometer turned past the 4000 mile mark, a great psychological boost! I have been having mostly good days, some great ones, some a little chilly and rainy, most tough. The last few days it's been gorgeous weather and scenery. Eastern Oregon is pretty mountainous, dry, and not very populated. That triple summit day out of Baker City was really tough but a gorgeous ride. I then followed the John Day river downstream through a scenic valley, then into Picture Canyon, a very narrow canyon the river and road cut through. At the top of a pass coming out of that canyon I saw a beautiful snow-capped peak in the far distance, my first view of the Cascade Range. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it was Mt. Hood, although that would have been a long way off.

I've descended today into a more populated part of Oregon, I'm in Prineville right now taking an extended lunch break. The traffic really picked up the last 15 miles east of Prineville and not everyone was so friendly. RV after RV, I think partly because it's Sunday. The Cascade range is in good view here.

I'm very excited to be making it closer and closer to the coast. Tomorrow I'm probably going through the Cascade range via McKenzie pass. One of my pedals died on me a few days ago but luckily the town I was passing through had an avid touring cyclist running the general store and he had some platform pedals I've substituted.

Posted by Dave at 05:43 PM | Comments (4)

Pedal failure

David is riding on platform pedals after his "antique" clipless failed in Dayville. He is spending Saturday night in Mitchell (pop 200) after covering 150+ miles in the last two days. He is sharing the hotel with a group of fossil hunters. He will be going through Prineville today where I completed by bicentennial ride in 1976. He is beginning to smell the salt air of the pacific.

Posted by Mom at 08:46 AM | Comments (0)

October 05, 2002

Eastern Oregon

David called in last night from John Day, Oregon. He is "doing great" after a tough but beautiful triple summit day. I think he's in the zone!!

Posted by Mom at 10:39 AM | Comments (0)

October 01, 2002

Windy days

Montana was like a vacation within a vacation. I got to cycle without my panniers over three passes! I fished and floated some beautiful rivers, visited with my parents, and saw an old friend. Coming over Lolo Pass into Idaho with panniers and without parents in a sag vehicle was a little bit of an adjustment. :) I'm back on the trail though and Idaho has been beautiful. I've mostly been following rivers up and downstream, the Lochsa, Middle Fork Clearwater, South Fork Clearwater, Salmon, Little Salmon, and I'm about to head over to the Weiser.

The weather has been spotty I'd say, some beautiful days and some really cold, windy, wet days. Yesterday morning was pretty miserable with a gusty headwind, piercing rain and cold. I ended up taking shelter in a phone booth for a while and changed into some warmer clothes. Mom, Dad, thanks for the booties and fuzzy pants. I made it a short day and spent yesterday afternoon relaxing by the Salmon River. Today is nicer, still windy and cold but some sun also. I'm in New Meadows right now, probably headed to Council or Cambridge for the night. I should be in Oregon tomorrow!

Posted by Dave at 03:09 PM | Comments (6)