« Lowell, Idaho | Main | Eastern Oregon »

October 01, 2002

Windy days

Montana was like a vacation within a vacation. I got to cycle without my panniers over three passes! I fished and floated some beautiful rivers, visited with my parents, and saw an old friend. Coming over Lolo Pass into Idaho with panniers and without parents in a sag vehicle was a little bit of an adjustment. :) I'm back on the trail though and Idaho has been beautiful. I've mostly been following rivers up and downstream, the Lochsa, Middle Fork Clearwater, South Fork Clearwater, Salmon, Little Salmon, and I'm about to head over to the Weiser.

The weather has been spotty I'd say, some beautiful days and some really cold, windy, wet days. Yesterday morning was pretty miserable with a gusty headwind, piercing rain and cold. I ended up taking shelter in a phone booth for a while and changed into some warmer clothes. Mom, Dad, thanks for the booties and fuzzy pants. I made it a short day and spent yesterday afternoon relaxing by the Salmon River. Today is nicer, still windy and cold but some sun also. I'm in New Meadows right now, probably headed to Council or Cambridge for the night. I should be in Oregon tomorrow!

Posted by Dave at October 1, 2002 03:09 PM

Comments

hey dave ross!!

long time no habla...

look how lean you've become! my friends and i have been following your progress here in charlottesville and having drinks in your honour.

hope you're finding yourself well, i was down and out with mono for the middle and end of september. i'm still quite contagious and rather weak so my bike, unfortunately, is now covered with a bit of cobwebs.

I've got to head off to class now, congrats on making it to oregon (and across the united states for that matter).

-Alex

Posted by: Alex at October 1, 2002 03:25 PM

SMOKIN'INTO SMOKE-FREE OREGOM! -I hope!!!!!!!!

Your personal lung doctor and friend
DR DAVE

Posted by: david collins at October 1, 2002 08:27 PM

Hi Dave,

Glad everything goes well and you got to visit with Dennis and Suzie. You may have been the last cyclist thru Lander for the season! It started snowing at 10 this am. We have 6+ inches on the ground going for 14! by tomorrow noon. The passes are getting even more! Temps down under 30. Great to have "real weather". The ride from here to the park would be something now!! Take care and ride safe! j

Posted by: John Metcalfe at October 1, 2002 10:42 PM

Welcome to Oregon! I can't claim that we have only sunny weather, but at least the eastern half of the state should be pretty dry. I look forward to hanging out with you when you get to Portland. All the best, Gene

Posted by: gene wixson at October 1, 2002 11:14 PM

Hey Dave,
Just east of New Meadows is McCall, a beautiful little town where the Outward Bound Idaho base camp used to be. The weather in Portland is cold and rainy but I bet it's dry out there in the desert. We're looking forward to meeting you at the coast. love, Andrew

Posted by: Andrew Ross at October 3, 2002 12:04 PM

Way to go Dave!

Sounds like a wonderful time in Montana. Best of luck on the rest of your trip and enjoy Oregon.

Posted by: Don Lendle at October 3, 2002 11:05 PM